Uber Car Year Requirements
Your most basic car requirements begin with the age and overall condition of your vehicle. Good condition means that your vehicle doesn’t have any major blemishes. Specific model requirements do depend on the city in which you will be operating, so it’s important to check that your vehicle fits the bill before taking the plunge.
Of course, your vehicle must be insured under your name and under a ridesharing insurance plan to cover any rider liabilities should anything occur while you are in service. Uber does not require commercial insurance, however. You can find more information on city-specific and general requirements on Uber’s website here.
UberX Car Requirements:
- With Uber’s lowest level of service, UberX, your vehicle must be 10 years old or newer and be in overall good condition.
UberXL Vehicle Requirements:
- Vehicle seating capacity of more than 5 passengers
- Vehicles that qualify for this level are typically SUVs or minivans.
- Due to demand, vehicles with higher seating capabilities can be up to 15 years old.
UberSELECT Vehicle Requirements:
- Only luxury sedans are eligible
- Four-door vehicle
- Leather or vinyl seats
- Age of vehicle must be 2009 or newer
Uber BLACK Vehicle Requirements
- Your vehicle must be black both inside and out.
- Black leather interior
- Vehicle must be a 2014 model or newer
UberSUV Vehicle Requirements
- Vehicle must seat 7 or more people including the driver
- The vehicle must be 5 years or younger
UberLUX Vehicle Requirements
- Only full-size luxury vehicles qualify for this level of service
- The age of the vehicle must be 2012 or newer
- As part of the luxury aspect, your vehicle must be one of the most high-end options on the market
Uber Car Inspection
Once you’ve determined that your vehicle is eligible for one of the above categories and you’ve been approved as an Uber driver, it’s time to fulfill Uber’s next vehicle requirement: an approved car inspection.
Uber requires a full vehicle inspection at least once annually. During an inspection, a mechanic will take a detailed look at your vehicle to ensure that it is running smoothly and safely. If maintenance or repair is needed, you will need to address these issues before you can begin your Uber driving career. For the most efficient results, we recommend addressing any issues that you already know about ahead of time.
Drivers who have this annual procedure completed at a designated Uber shop can have it done for free, otherwise, this inspection can be carried out by a mechanic for a cost.
Up to $1,000 guaranteed earnings for new drivers!
Bonus varies by city and are subject to Uber’s official referral terms.
Hi, I’m Mike, Uber Driver and Website Creator
I’ve been driving with Uber for over four years now. And I’ve collected this data for your benefit, because I had the same questions when I first signed up with Uber — such as: how do I sign up for Uber, how do I get paid and how much can I make with Uber, and what are the Uber approved vehicles?
That’s why I am always working to provide accurate and objective information for you and keep you up to date with the latest Uber news.
Do I Make Money Off This Website?
Yes, I do receive a referral bonus when you sign up to drive if you use my referral link. That’s why I’ve included my referral link throughout this site so you can receive up to a bonus of up to $1,000 guaranteed earnings when you sign up (varies by city) and I make a bonus too. But you don’t have to use my referral link. I encourage you to only use it if you feel I have provided you good value and helped you on your journey to becoming an Uber driver. However, for the vast majority of information that you can find here, I don’t receive a cent. It is just free information available to you because I want to be a resource to future Uber drivers.